Saturday, July 24, 2010

Question for everyone - topic - beauty in the eye of the beholder?

Agnostic here trying to build the yahoo answers database of Q%26amp;A, nto trying to convert anyone,





Question background. There is a person who started posting answers here two weeks ago. It is a female. Her avatar was one of those cartoon ones. She got in the first 12 days of her yahoo answers existence contact from two people.


On the 13th day she posted on her avatar a photograph of herself. On that first day she had between 15 and 25 email contacts.





Is this because the 15-25 new persons were interested in her for her answers and how her mind works, or the photograph of a real person made them more likely to read her answers and then contact her based on how her mind works, or the obvious the15-25 new persons saw the photograph and ';went for it';





Just asking what do you think the difference was and why.Question for everyone - topic - beauty in the eye of the beholder?
I ALWAYS post a mug shot of my MUG!





I really can't understand why people are AFRAID to do the same.





The HIT AND RUN CREEPS are of course the exception. .


They get to insult without having to face anyone.Question for everyone - topic - beauty in the eye of the beholder?
Because men have two different brains and they're STILL dumber than women.
Attractive people attract. (ok, funky apemen images attract too, but the image has to lead to substance). My favorite photo of myself, is my 'narcissis and moon' photo. I don't aim to be pretty, and I don't require a lot of response. But it's a real as I can get...





I like to connect reality with my religous ideas. That's how I got them, not from a book. (I love the Bible, but I don't worship it) And I like real answers too.
the difference was the picture, as well as her words. Some people judge books by their covers, and automatically pass judgement on their knowledge base. Probably after viewing her picture and then reading her answers tyhey realized they may have been wrong and decided to email her. OR .. they just wanted to 'hook' up
I just REALLY, REALLY hope that the person in question is not Edna!
that's a tough call. of course the evidence you present would dictate that the the 15-25 persons contacted her because of the photo change. With the info you present, my mind would draw that conclusion.
Yep, you got it. I am happy with my nice cartoon avatar and will not put other pictures up. I designed my avatar to look as much like me as possible. But, I don't want anyone who knows me to recognize me and come after me, if they don't like my question or answer for some reason. Besides, I'm married, and do not want a bunch of admirers emailing me, because they like my pic.


It's just safer this way. For you too I'm sure.
Photo enticed folks.
Dont know why Im answering, you never choose my great answers. A girl with a photo attracts more attention? When did that start happening?
I'm more drawn to answer questions from avatars that are different than the yahoo cartoon one. It just draws your eyes. Or they could all be perverts, who knows.
It is because she's workin' it.
That's very sad... I wonder how true it is that people would really 'go for it' based on a postage-stamp sized pictrure that could be _anyone_. I can say that nobody's been especially 'going for it' with me since I changed to Fat Albert...
I believe it's definitely the latter ';15-25 new persons saw the photograph and ';went for it'; ';. That's our society today.
i get told I'm cute all the time.
Answering for myself, I would say that I don't pay all that much attention to the avatars at all. I read the question to decide if that person has a valid concern or an honest question, or an honest opinion. After all, isn't that the beauty of a site like this? We aren't judged by what's showing on the outside, but by how we choose to care or not care, or answer someone's legitimate concern, or by how we communicate with others. Everyday life allows us to show our real faces. If I were to present myself to you here in this forum as sexy or good looking, it defeats the purpose, and has nothing to do with how I might feel about politics or religion, or the advice I might give you on a broken heart.
I think it's a combination of things. Some people may have been new but that probably doesn't account for much of it. Maybe 1 or 2 of the contacts tops. I would imagine a relatively even split between people seeing her picture and trying to go for it and people seeing an actual person and relating to her better. Probably slightly more going for it but such is. A picture is worth a thousand words. You can make very poignant questions and answers but if people can't see you you're just a faceless name. When there's an actual person there's a better chance of being taken seriously. That's my thoughts anyways. I'm just a cartoon though so people probably won't think too much on it.
What an excellent question!


I think that people may look at the photo and not care what her answers are, and that is a shame.


Judging people based on their appearance whether attractive or not leaves much to be desired. You fail to see who the person really is, and you tend to make them what you want them to be. I think she will probably appreciate the people she first made contact with more because they responded to her solely on her answers. It will be interesting to see what happens to her from here!
The evidence would seem to support a likelihood of the the contacts being due to the new photo. We know from various studies that ';beauty'; is very important in our society.





Children in school receive better treatment (even if unconcious) from peers and even teachers ... teachers receive more attention from their students ... parents are more attentive to ';pretty'; children ... hiring for jobs ... overall earnings on the job.





While it isn't fair and it seems shallow, we're built to be attracted to certain physical qualities or characterists.
I know that I get a lot more people IMing me and wanting to see my non-existant webcam ever since I started using my real photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment